Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Personal Manifesto

If conflict arises between me and another I will follow these steps:

1). I will search my heart to see if the fault lies with me and if it does I will acknowledge my failure and apologize (Matthew 5:23-24)

2). If the fault does not lie with me I will no longer take ownership of the behavior of others. Their decisions/actions are not because I am a bad person, or because I deserve it. I will place ownership for that behavior back where it belongs.

3). While not taking responsibility for the behavior of others, I will continue to strive to live peaceably with all men (Romans 12:18) to be kind, tender hearted and forgiving (Ephesians 4:32) I will make every attempt to "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard others as more important than myself" (Philippians 23)

4). I will not allow others to rob me of my joy, but instead remember that my strength comes from HIM "The joy of the Lord is my strength" (Nehemiah 8:10) "Then you will find your joy in the LORD" (Isaiah 58:14) "The humble will be filled with fresh joy from the LORD. The poor will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel." (Isaiah 29:19)

It has taken me 37 years to stop believing that the blame for any conflict must be mine. I pray that with these added years, I will have the wisdom and humility to accept when the blame IS mine, and the fortitude to give it back when it is not.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting...I should print out and stick in a journal to remind myself !

    ReplyDelete